Friday 16 April 2010

The Summerhouse by The Waterway


Summer is my favourite season. Admittedly, all of the seasons have their charms: autumn for its decadence, winter for its beauty and spring for its hope, but the summer months, although flippant, are my happiest.

I suppose a life can be divided into four seasons, with youth being spring and old age winter. In my mid-twenties, I'm in the summer of my life – perhaps that's why it's my favourite time of year.

Still very much in spring literally speaking, on Thursday I was invited to the opening of the Summerhouse, a pop-up, canal-side, beach house restaurant open for the next six months in Little Venice. Perched on the side of the Union Canal, the Summerhouse is the little sister of The Waterway restaurant, which lies a few metres upstream.

The interiors are very Hamptons chic – whitewashed walls bedecked with monochrome photos, polished wooden floors and navy and white striped cushions – it felt like I'd just stepped inside Ralph Lauren ad.

Arriving early, I grabbed a glass of Champagne infused with lavender, and managed to bag one of the canal-facing tables – Summerhouse prime real estate. There was a bite to the spring air, but my friend and I were warmed by the heat of the flares. The steel band soon swung into action and some seriously tasty sea-themed canapés did the rounds: beer-battered cod and chips, sweet chili scampi and crab croquettes.

The puddings were equally exciting: tiny lemon tarts, adorable mini ice cream cones and lethal Pimm's jellies. After a few more lavender Champagnes I decided discretion was the better part of valour and made a reasonably early exit. On the way out I was given a goodie bag full of summer treats to gear me up for what's promised to be a scorcher.

No comments:

Post a Comment